Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tough decisions ahead for United States

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Tough decisions ahead for United States  Empty
PostSubject: Tough decisions ahead for United States    Tough decisions ahead for United States  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:11 am

Tough decisions ahead for United States  Usa

LAS VEGAS (2010 FIBA World Championship) - USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo has admitted there are now tough decision ahead after several players impressed during the team's training camp in Las Vegas this week.

Events wrapped up with an intrasquad scrimmage as the Whites beat the Blues 114-96.

“We had a terrific week,” Colangelo said. “We had a great response from our players. They really worked hard. They were aggressive, and we really got a lot out of this week. (There’s) tough decisions for us going forward for us.”

Kevin Durant looks like a lock to be in the final 12-man squad, and he strengthened his claim by leading all players with 28 points for the Whites.

Andre Igoudala added 17, while Eric Gordon had 16, Derrick Rose 15 and Tyson Chandler 13.

Rudy Gay led the Blues with 23 points, while OJ Mayo scored 18, Russell Westbrook added 14 and Jeff Green had 11.

“As a coaching staff, we thought it was a really good week,” said coach Mike Krzyzewski. “As always, coming to Las Vegas for USA Basketball was terrific...

"They’ve done a really good job this week and we’re getting to have a personality for our basketball team right now and anxious to get down to 15 and go to New York and try and personalize the team a little bit more.”

Making the cut from 19 to 15 could prove difficult. With the players that led them to Olympic gold in Beijing missing, virtually every place in the squad is up for grabs, and Krzyzewski and co. are left with plenty of decisions to make.

“We have so many great guys on this team,” Durant said. “We have three or four point guards, two or three wings and couple of bigs, so you can play hard for three minutes straight, and then somebody is going to come in and get you and play the same way. I think that’s what unique about this team.”

Gay added: “I think this game was definitely a test for us. That’s what we scrimmage for. We came out here and we tested to see exactly where we need to be. Personally, I think – I can always get better – but I think I did pretty good out there.”

The team will now take a break before meeting for a second training camp in New York starting on August 9. USA Basketball hope to announce the 15-man squad no later than Monday evening.
Back to top Go down

Tough decisions ahead for United States
Page 1 of 1