August 25, 2010, 4:36pm
Cavite Gov. Juanito Victor C. Remulla Jr. has approved the granting of P2.5 million for the provincial police to procure much-needed equipment for the elite Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team to enable the group to respond well during hostage incidents, shooting encounters, and other crimes.
The grant was announced Wednesday by Senior Supt. Danilo L. Maligalig, Cavite Police Provincial Office (CPPO) director, as he disclosed that preparations are being made by his officers and men for various crime situations in the province.
Maligalig said that the governor approved the grant, which he requested last month for the CPPO-SWAT team,
“The request for the SWAT team was made last month and it was granted Monday morning, just about an hour before the hostage incident happened in Manila,” said the police director.
Meanwhile, Maligalig led the opening of a 10-day CQB (Close Quarter Battle) Course for his SWAT team and other operating units at the CPPO compound in Camp General Pantaleon Garcia in Imus town.
The CQB Course is a teach-in and training or drill for SWAT and other operating officers and men in handling hostage crisis, shooting encounters and other crime incidents.
“What a coincident, the cash grant and the course opening were made just about an hour before the Manila hostage incident took place,” said Maligalig.
Maligalig said that with the governor’s grant, the CPPO would procure some hi-tech (high-technology) equipment needed for hostage crisis.
Cavite is a crime-prone province, considering the big population and depressed areas in the province.
The province is the most-densely populated in the country with over three million people living in four cities and 19 towns.