Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pacquiao Happy for Floyd's ESPY Win

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ginebraghurl

ginebraghurl

Pacquiao Happy for Floyd's ESPY Win Empty
PostSubject: Pacquiao Happy for Floyd's ESPY Win   Pacquiao Happy for Floyd's ESPY Win I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:16 pm

MANILA, Philippines -- World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao said he is happy for American Floyd Mayweather Jr. for winning this year's Excellence in Sports Performance of the Year (ESPY) for Best Fighter Award.

The boxer-turned-Sarangani congressman said Mayweather deserves to win the honor as he is a good boxer.

“I'm happy for him na pinili siya ng ESPN. Siguro hindi naman siya masamang boksingero,” said Pacquiao.

He added that he is not really concerned about being edged by Mayweather for the ESPY plum this year since he has garnered numerous awards in his colorful boxing career.

“As a boxer, nakuha naman natin ang lahat ng mga award at siyempre ‘yung pinakamataas na award na nakuha natin 'yung Fighter of the Decade,” said Pacquiao.

Aside from winning the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) Fighter of the Decade award (2000-2009), he also won the BWAA Fighter of Year Award 3 times (2006, 2008 and 2009), Best Fighter ESPY award (2009) and the Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year award 3 times (2006, 2008 and 2009).

Pacman-Floyd in 2010 getting slim

Meanwhile, Pacquiao said the chance of having a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight on November 13 is getting slim.

He echoed the sentiments of his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank.

Arum told Bob Velin of USA Today that he's frustrated with the negotiations with Golden Boy, which represents Mayweather.

"But I'm trying to rationalize it, and if it's because he may be reluctant to fight now because of the problems his uncle (and trainer, Roger Mayweather) has, then I understand it," Arum said in the report.

Roger is set to go on trial in August for a battery charge involving a female boxer he once trained.

"We have heard nothing from (Floyd)," Arum said. "But hey, it's not the end of the world. If it doesn't happen this year, hopefully it will happen next year."

Arum is also working out a possible Pacquiao fight against either former world champion Antonio Margarito or World Boxing Association (WBA) junior middleweight king Miguel Cotto.
Back to top Go down

Pacquiao Happy for Floyd's ESPY Win
Page 1 of 1