Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hong Kong govt 'disappointed' about Philippine hostage siege

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Hong Kong govt 'disappointed' about Philippine hostage siege Empty
PostSubject: Hong Kong govt 'disappointed' about Philippine hostage siege   Hong Kong govt 'disappointed' about Philippine hostage siege I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:53 am

HONG KONG (1st UPDATE) - The Hong Kong government Monday lamented the "tragedy" of the hostage siege in the Philippine capital which left at least seven Hong Kong tourists dead.

"The outcome is very disappointing. It is a tragedy because a pleasure trip has ended up with casualties and injuries," the city's Chief Executive Donald Tsang told a press briefing.

Tsang said he had been unable to reach Philippine President Benigno Aquino and urged the Filipino authorities to provide a full account of the deadly incident to the Hong Kong government.

"I tried to contact the Philippine President this afternoon, hoping to put to him in person the request to take the safety of the hostages as the top priority. However, I am still unable to get hold of him."

The day-long ordeal began when disgruntled ex-policeman Rolando Mendoza armed with an M-16 assault rifle hijacked a busload of Hong Kong tourists in Manila's tourist district in a desperate bid to get his job back.

Negotiations broke down after nightfall when the gunman began shooting the passengers, and commandos stormed the bus.

Police said Mendoza was shot dead by a sniper after he used his captives as "human shields" in the final moments of the 12-hour standoff.

Tsang said he was saddened and angry by the loss and described the gunman as cold-blooded.

He said in addition to the dead, two Hong Kong citizens on the bus were seriously injured, while six others were under observation in hospital.

"We have to get the information from the authorities there. Until now I still cannot have a full grasp of the situation. The numbers (of casualties and injured) keep changing."
Back to top Go down

Hong Kong govt 'disappointed' about Philippine hostage siege
Page 1 of 1