Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stags Tipped For NCAA Repeat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Stags Tipped For NCAA Repeat Empty
PostSubject: Stags Tipped For NCAA Repeat   Stags Tipped For NCAA Repeat I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 6:18 am

Stags Tipped For NCAA Repeat Pic-06220138460147

MANILA, Philippines—Multi-titled coach Ato Agustin reiterated on Monday his commitment to steer San Sebastian College to back-to-back titles, giving the Stags a boost just five days before they open their campaign in the 86th NCAA season.

“My players thought I was leaving the team, but I told them my priority is San Sebastian. I have a commitment to them,” Agustin said at the press conference launching the NCAA men’s basketball tilt at the ELJ Building in Quezon City.

San Sebastian kicks off its title-retention bid against Letran College at 2 p.m. this Saturday at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

The assurance from Agustin, an assistant coach with the Beermen, came just a few days after he was seen taking the lead role in coaching the San Miguel Beermen in the PBA. Although he is set to take over from Siot Tanquingcen after the NCAA season, Agustin said he won’t be with the Beermen if the Stags have a game.

“The hunger is still there,” said Agustin of the Stags, who captured three more titles since winning the NCAA crown last season.

Looming as the Stags’ main challengers are San Beda College and Jose Rizal University.

The San Beda Red Lions, whose streak of three straight titles was snapped last year when San Sebastian swept them in the best-of-three finals series, have a bumper crop of rookies led by Filipino-Australian twins Anthony Paul and David Semerad.

“Even though we worked hard last year, it wasn’t enough,” said San Beda coach Frankie Lim, whose three other rookies—Kyle Pascual, Jess Villahermosa and Christian Moralde—are now part of the regular rotation. “We have to improve on our execution.”

Jose Rizal U, under neophyte coach Vergel Meneses, has also been installed as among the favorites with hulking Cameroonian Joe Etame at the helm.

JRU showed its worth by stunning San Beda in a preseason game.

But College of St. Benilde coach Richard del Rosario believes the season will not be just about the three favorites.

“Any team can beat anybody,” said Del Rosario, who sees his rookie-laden team bunched in the middle of the standings after the first round. “Even in the preseason many of the so-called favorites lost. It’s going to be a battle of consistency.”

Coaches Boris Aldeguer of University of Perpetual Help System Dalta, who has five transferees from Philippine Christian University in his lineup, Nomar Isla of Emilio Aguinaldo College and Leo Isaac of Arellano University feel their teams are better-prepared this season.

Chito Victolero will steer Mapua Institute of Technology while Letran will have Tino Pinat for Louie Alas.

Cedelf Tupas, Philippine Daily Inquirer
Back to top Go down

Stags Tipped For NCAA Repeat
Page 1 of 1