Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Waiting Game

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

The Waiting Game Empty
PostSubject: The Waiting Game   The Waiting Game I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 am

The Waiting Game WCW2010

SALAMANCA (2010 FIBA World Championship for Women) - The FIBA World Championship for Women is just around the corner and several teams are still playing a waiting game.

WNBA commitments have meant that some stars have missed most, if not all of their national team's preparations.

For Spain, the naturalization of Halcon Avenida star Sancho Lyttle earlier this year seemed to give the team a powerful presence under the boards that the side has sorely needed for many years.

The only problem is that so far, Lyttle has yet to put on a Spanish jersey since she's in the WNBA Finals with the Atlanta Dream.

Atlanta have a roster full of international talent.

Brazil’s big center Erika and small forward Iziane are in the WNBA Finals with Atlanta.

Belarus center Yelena Leuchanka and Team USA's Angel McCoughtry are also with the Dream team.

Seattle, the side that leads the Dream 2-0 in the WNBA Finals, have Australia international Lauren Jackson, USA guard Sue Bird and forward Swin Cash, Czech star Jana Vesela and Russia veteran Svetlana Abrosimova.

It's September 15 and the FIBA World Championship for Women tips off on September 23 in Brno, and Ostrava.

The USA, judging from their results, are coping well without players.

Geno Auriemma’s squad beat both Spain and Australia at a warm-up tournament in Connecticut.

“The object of these two games, obviously, was for us to get a feel for our team, put ourselves in a competitive situation against two of the world's best teams and try to work on some things at the same time,” Auriemma said.

“I thought both days, we accomplished a lot of that.”

One of the late arrivals for the United States was Candice Dupree of the Phoenix Mercury, who were eliminated from the play-offs on September 5 by Seattle.

She made an immediate impact in the 85-69 victory over Spain in Hartford, scoring 10 points and grabbing four rebounds in 10 minutes.

Dupree, who is a big name in Europe with Good Angels Kosice, said of joining the United States squad late: “I’m just trying to learn the new sets. I think the team chemistry looks great so far. The majority of the players have already been here, but so far I’m having a good time.”

Spain will host a friendly tournament in Salamanca on Friday and Saturday with the United States, Australia and Senegal taking part.

Penny Taylor, who was on the books of the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury this summer, is expected to play for the Australians.

Back to top Go down

The Waiting Game
Page 1 of 1