BUTUAN CITY, Philippines – Massive clean up and dissemination and information drive against dengue went into high gear as suspected dengue cases in Northeastern Mindanao (Caraga region) has reached a total of 2,001, health authorities reported Friday.
The Department of Health Center for Health Development (CHD), Caraga Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, said in its "Disease Surveillance Report" that this figure came out during the period of its 36th Morbidity Week, from September 5-11, this year.
In a press conference here, Dr. Gerna Manatad, DOH-13 CHD Regional Epidemiologist said this figure was also based on admission reports from the different disease reporting hospitals in the region from January 1-September 9, this year.
“This is 168% higher compared to the record of the same period last year which only had 746 cases,” said Dr. Manatad.
However, she assured that even with 8 deaths already recorded due to the disease, no "Dengue Outbreak" was declared anywhere in the region.
Butuan City still topped the list as to the number of cases with 668 patients, followed by Agusan del Sur 400; Surigao del Norte 209; Bislig City 162; Surigao City 152; Agusan del Norte 135; Surigao del Sur 134; Bayugan City (69); Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte 33; Dinagat Islands 24 and Tandag, Surigao del Sury 15.
The deaths came from Cabadbaran 1; Magallanes, Agusan del Norte 1; San Francisco, Surigao del Norte 1; Surigao City 2; Del Carmen, Surigao del Norte 1; Malimono, Surigao del Norte 1 and Bayugan, Agusan del Sur 1.
The ages of the victims ranges from 2 months old to 84 yers old with majority of the cases were male (52%). Forty-two percent of the cases belonged to 0 to 10 years age group.
The data gathered from the reports reaching their office tends to show that the cases of the said mosquito-borne disease here in the region fall below the epidemic threshold.
The assessment of the places affected by the disease, Dr. Manatad said, were also done down to the barangay level and that so far no barangay was declared "dengue hot spot" based on their monitoring of the frequency of the suspected dengue cases for the past two weeks from August 29-September 19, this year.
They only had monitored a barangay in Butuan City with three suspected cases during the period and that is Barangay Libertad.
DoH Region Xlll Regional Director Dr. Leonita P. Gorgolon said heightened education and information drive went into high gear to help the public fight dengue at various places in the region.
Mike Crismundo, Manila Bulletin