Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Saddened by Capacio's Leaving

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Black Saddened by Capacio's Leaving Empty
PostSubject: Black Saddened by Capacio's Leaving   Black Saddened by Capacio's Leaving I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 8:30 am

MANILA, Philippines — Ateneo head coach Norman Black was caught by surprise with the decision of Glen Capacio to leave his coaching job at Far Eastern University a few days after the Tamaraws lost the UAAP basketball championship to the Blue Eagles.

“Glen is a personal friend,” said the 52-year-old Black, who steered Ateneo to its third straight title, during Tuesday’s PSA Forum at the Shakey’s Restaurant in U.N. Avenue, Manila. “It’s a little bit sad considering his record.”

Bannered by season Most Valuable Player RR Garcia, Rookie of the Year Terrence Romeo, and national team players JR Cawaling and Aldrech Ramos coupled with an impressive 12-2 record in the eliminations, FEU entered the Finals as heavy favorite against Ateneo.

But the Tamaraws failed to live up to their billing. They lost the first game, 72-49, and the second game 65-62, handing Eagles a sweep of the best-of-three series.

Worse, Capacio, 46, failed to finish Game 2 as he was rushed to the Medical City hospital after his blood pressure shot up and he felt dizzy at halftime. He never returned and his assistant coaches finished the game for him.

Black commends Capacio for his short but successful stint.

“He’s won a lot more games than he lost (43-21 over four seasons),” Black said.

“From where I came in the US, to have the type of success Glen has in college, normally you will keep your job for a long time. I guess here in the UAAP, there’s a lot of pressure in coaching. And if you don’t win right away, they don’t have a lot of patience with you.”

Black said he intends to add Capacio to his coaching staff of the national team for the 2011 Southeast Asian Games in Indonesia.

“I’ll get Glen in my coaching staff. I have no conversation with the SBP yet, except for the fact that they offered it to me and I said yes,” Black said.

Waylon Galvez, Manila Bulletin
Back to top Go down

Black Saddened by Capacio's Leaving
Page 1 of 1