Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ticzon to coach Tams

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Ticzon to coach Tams   Empty
PostSubject: Ticzon to coach Tams    Ticzon to coach Tams   I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 8:45 am

MANILA, Philippines - Former Ateneo and PBA hotshot Richie Ticzon will handle the coaching chores for Far Eastern University when the Tamaraws compete in the University Games in Dumaguete City later this month.
Ticzon to coach Tams   Spo8can

Ticzon, who came in this year as one of the Tams’ assistant coaches, will take charge of the Tams’ Unigames’ bid on Oct. 24-30 following the resignation of coach Glen Capacio, according to FEU board representative Anton Montinola.

However, Montinola stressed that this does not necessarily mean Ticzon is now a shoo-in for the post vacated by Capacio, who quit after the top-seeded Tams’ failed bid to win the crown.

“The Unigames will be his (Ticzon’s) break-in stint,” Montinola told The STAR. “We still have to consider other options for the PCCL (Philippine Collegiate Champions League) in November and December. There’s no rush to decide now.”

Capacio, whose contract was good until the end of this month, formally resigned from his post of four years yesterday. Last week, the former King Tamaraw wasn’t able to finish calling the shots for the Tams in Game 2 against tormentor Ateneo as he was taken to the hospital at halftime due to hypertension.

“I’m okay now, although sometimes, I still feel a little dizzy. I have to rest and spend more time with my family,” Capacio said.

Although he’s taking time off basketball in the meantime, Capacio said he would willingly take the offer of Norman Black to be one of his assistants in the RP team to the 2011 Southeast Asian Games.

“Of course, I’ll take it because it’s an opportunity to serve our country and at the same time share your talent and expertise to help the boys be better players and person,” he said.

FEU, according to athletic director Mark Molina, has already accepted Capacio’s resignation.

“Coach Glen gave his best to his alma mater the past six years (four as head coach) and we are thankful for this. We wish him the best in his future endeavors,” Molina said.

Black, Capacio’s adversary in the UAAP finals, expressed surprise over Capacio’s departure from FEU.

“Glen is a personal friend. I’m a little bit sad about that considering his record in his four years as coach in the UAAP; he has a very good record, he’s won a lot more games than he lost,” Black said during the PSA Forum.

“Where I come from in the US, if you have the record that Glen has in college, normally you’ll keep your job for a long time. I guess here in the UAAP, there’s a lot of pressure in coaching and if you don’t win right away, they don’t have a lot of patience with you,” he added.

Olmin Leyba, Philippine Star
Back to top Go down

Ticzon to coach Tams
Page 1 of 1