Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The emerging 'Empress' of drama

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SuperMeg

SuperMeg

The emerging 'Empress' of drama   Empty
PostSubject: The emerging 'Empress' of drama      The emerging 'Empress' of drama   I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:22 pm

MANILA, Philippines - Empress Schuck has been in the acting business for a decade now (she was part of ABS-CBN’s Ang TV2 at age seven). But she still can’t get over that “pressured” feeling every time the cameras roll and the director shouts “Action!.” More so now that she is tasked to play lead on the Kapamilya network’s afternoon soap Rosalka.

“This really puts great pressure on me but I guess even if the show ends, the pressure would never go away because I feel it helps me act better. My eagerness to do things right is always there,” says Empress.

The soap has reportedly been extended, and Empress is banking more and more on her character’s dilemma to vividly express the apt emotion for each dramatic scene. She reads the script from beginning ‘til end and readies herself for a crying bout which “I love doing, even when I was a kid.”

“Rosa (her character) carries a lot of burden on her shoulders and I don’t have any experience close to hers. But since I’m dramatic at heart, I find it useful in bringing out what emotion playing Rosa requires. N’ung bata ako ‘pag pinapagalitan ako iiyak na ko agad at pag tumitingin ako sa salamin natutuwa ako pag madami na yung luha ko. Bata pa lang kasi ako gusto ko na mag-artista kaya exaggerated ‘yung iyak ko nung maliit pa ako.”

Acting workshops under Malou de Guzman, prior to the series gave Empress a tip or two in handling heavy scenes with ease.

But the challenge doesn’t only rely on how to cry onscreen. Empress endures the itchy, hot prosthetics on her face for long hours. She also had to stoop for long periods because she plays a hunchback. “Anything for the show,” she says. “I like Rosa’s happy disposition in spite of everything. I think we share the same personality. I’m bubbly and friendly, too.”

Her co-star Felix Roco can attest to Empress’ talent. “She’s good. At first I felt awkward but as days passed, we hit it off well at kulitan na din.”

Her idol Judy Ann Santos inspires Empress to do things other than drama. She wants to give comedy a try the way Juday did in the romantic-comedy Oh, My Girl (OMG). Remakes and action flicks are also on Empress’ wish list.

“I want to do action roles ala Angelina Jolie,” she states.

“It’s more challenging if you are able to do more things. Kwela din ako like my dad (Theodore Schuck),” she quips. “Dito (Rosalka) sanay akong inaapi pero palaban.”

Despite all the heavy demands playing Rosa gives her, Empress manages to squeeze in some play time in her schedule. She tapes three times a week (Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday). Friday is for rehearsals and she appears on A.S.A.P. every Sunday.

“Whenever I’m free (from showbiz commitments), I go to the gym, spend some time for facial and relaxing massage. I also play video games and do stuff like any teenager does, like checking my Facebook. I make sure I also enjoy while I’m young.”

Empress also plans to continue her studies. She is finishing high school through home study. She intends to take up Culinary or Masscom in college even with an irregular schedule.

“I want to take up Culinary Arts because my mom (Gina) is a good cook while I can only cook hotdog. As for Masscom since I’m already here, I have an idea what’s it all about.”

But getting involved in a relationship is a big no-no for Empress at the moment.

“I’m the type who wants a long-term and serious relationship. When you say serious, it has to be for real. That’s why I cannot commit myself to somebody yet because there are so many things I’d like to do. I’m focused on my career.”
Back to top Go down
SuperMeg

SuperMeg

The emerging 'Empress' of drama   Empty
PostSubject: Re: The emerging 'Empress' of drama      The emerging 'Empress' of drama   I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:30 pm

The emerging 'Empress' of drama   T1_0813_pipjordan
Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen (back) garnered six NBA championships and one Olympic gold medal as teammates from 1987-98.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) -- Scottie Pippen thanked the player who meant so much to him on the court.

Karl Malone remembered the person who meant the most to him in life.

Pippen and Malone were inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday, recognized as individuals and as part of the Dream Team.

Pippen opened his acceptance speech by praising Michael Jordan, his fellow six-time NBA champion from the Chicago Bulls for being "the best teammate."

"MJ, you have touched so many people's lives, but none quite like mine," Pippen said.
A little-known player from Central Arkansas when the Bulls got him in 1987, Pippen was the first player inducted during the enshrinement ceremony at Symphony Hall. With Jordan standing nearby on stage as his presenter, Pippen said he would "cherish their relationship forever."

"Who knew that No. 23 would be here 23 years later presenting me to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame?" Pippen said.

The presenter does not speak.

Malone struggled with his emotions throughout his speech, especially at the end when he recalled his mother, saying she had died seven years ago Friday.
"I'm here because of her," he said.

Malone also thanked late Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller for believing in him. Malone is a two-time MVP and second on the league's career scoring list, and said his success came from staying true to his Louisiana roots.

"I hope I did it the way my peers did it before me," Malone said. "I didn't do anything but try to play hard."

The 2010 class also includes the Dream Team that won the 1992 Olympics, and the 1960 U.S. gold medalists. Pippen and Karl Malone, also being enshrined Friday, both played with the likes of Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird on the 1992 team.

Earlier Friday, Jerry West said he believe his group of college players that won its eight games in Rome by 42.4 points per game was "the greatest amateur team that ever played."

Oscar Robertson, the team's other co-captain, agreed and urged all players to take part in the Olympic experience if they have the chance.

"I think that any time an athlete gets an opportunity to play for your country, he should accept it," Robertson said.

Charles Barkley might agree. He called the summer of 1992 one of the greatest times of his life, and pointed to the Dream Team's 10 individual Hall of Famers as proof of its greatness.

So were the team's eye-popping stats: 117.3 points per game, a victory margin of 43.8 per game. Still, Barkley said it wasn't quite that easy.

"That was probably one thing that we never got credit for. It's easy to sit there and say you're going to win every game by 40 or 50 points, but we went out and actually did it," he said Friday morning during a press conference. "We knew we were going to win the games, but to play at such a high level the entire time was incredible."

Cynthia Cooper, the first Hall of Famer from the WNBA, coach Bob Hurley of St. Anthony's High School in New Jersey, and Lakers owner Jerry Buss also are being inducted. Dennis Johnson, former Baltimore Bullets star Gus Johnson and Brazilian Maciel "Ubiratan" Pereira are being enshrined posthumously.

Source: SI.com
Back to top Go down

The emerging 'Empress' of drama
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Basketbol ng Pilipinas :: Not just Basketball! :: Entertainment & Current Events-
Jump to: