Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BRA/TUN – Brazil beat Tunisians for second win in Turkey

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yapsters
Admin
Admin
Yapsters

BRA/TUN – Brazil beat Tunisians for second win in Turkey Empty
PostSubject: BRA/TUN – Brazil beat Tunisians for second win in Turkey   BRA/TUN – Brazil beat Tunisians for second win in Turkey I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm

ISTANBUL (World Championship) - Leandro Barbosa erupted for 16 first-quarter points to give Brazil the platform they needed for victory against Tunisia.

The Brazilians, who led 26-16 at the end of the first period, ended up claiming an 80-65 victory in the Abdi Ipekci.

Barbosa's scoring burst came with jumpers, but also easy lay-ups and dunks after the South Americans forced a series of turnovers late in the opening frame.

Tunisia coach Adel Tlatli never allowed his team's focus to wane, however, and they stayed within striking distance for most of the contest.

Trailing 45-32 early in the third quarter, Radhouane Slimane made two free-throws and Mohamed Hadidane followed with a three-ball to cut the deficit to 45-37.

After another Barbosa lay-up, Hamdi Braa drilled a three-pointer to make it 47-40.

That was as close as they would get though it wasn't until the fourth quarter that Brazil were finally able to breathe more easily.

The solid interior play of Joao Paulo Batista, the hyper activity of Alex Garcia on defense and the timely shooting of Marcelinho Machado (who visited with FIBATV.Com after the game) helped the Brazilians pull away.

Barbosa finished with 21 points and will now look to make a big difference on Monday when his team takes on the USA.

Tunisia will now turn their attention to their next opponents, Iran.

QUOTES

Brazil’s Marcelo Machado: We are in a good position but we know we are going to have to start playing better against some very good teams. We have not qualified for the next round yet but we are closer. The aim is always to win at the World Championships that I’ve played in. I still feel like I have something to give. Ruben Magnano has probably made us a better defensive team but also before, Moncho Monsalve helped us to play more as a team on offense.

Tunisia's Hamdi Braa: "To win a game at the World Championship is important. We must beat Iran tomorrow"
Back to top Go down

BRA/TUN – Brazil beat Tunisians for second win in Turkey
Page 1 of 1