Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Senator calls for “sense of balance” amid RH Bill dispute

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Senator calls for “sense of balance” amid RH Bill dispute  Empty
PostSubject: Senator calls for “sense of balance” amid RH Bill dispute    Senator calls for “sense of balance” amid RH Bill dispute  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:01 am

MANILA, Philippines — Amid raging debates on the use of artificial contraceptives, Senate President Juan Ponce-Enrile has called for calm and “sense of balance” following a statement from the Church that “civil disobedience” remains an option if the administration pushes for the use of artificial methods.

“Everybody can take a position. They can demonstrate decently. They can shout to high heavens if they want. They can curse if they want but wag lang personalan (don’t take it personally),” Enrile told reporters on Monday

“Let's not lose our heads. We debate, we discuss but we maintain our sense of balance,” he said, adding that the issue can be debated openly without any passion.

But while the government and the Church differed on the use of artificial methods, Enrile pointed out that the two at least agreed on one thing and that is: “Once life begins, it must be protected.”

The Senate leader himself admitted that he has no position yet on whether or not to support the use of artificial contraceptives to address the country's problem of over population.

“I have not made up my min. I have to study it very, very carefully. It involves my faith. It involves my concept of morality. It involves my notion of what the society ought to be so I want to be spared of that question because I have not made up mind,” he said.

Besides, Enrile said the issue has not yet reached the Senate although he has filed a bill that seeks to protect the health and life of both the mother and the unborn child.

And while he refused to speculate whether the issue of artificial contraceptives has a chance in the Senate, the Senate leader said, “Kung pag-asa ang pinag-uusapan nati, e hope is eternal (If we are talking about hope, it is eternal).”

“In this house as far as I'm concerned, it's better to handle every issue in a very prudent, cautious manner so that when you arrive at a finish product, in the form of the law, that's wisely considered and well deliberated,” he further said.

Maila Ager, Phil. Daily Inquirer
Back to top Go down

Senator calls for “sense of balance” amid RH Bill dispute
Page 1 of 1