Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Contract Issues To Keep Stoudemire From Worlds

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Contract Issues To Keep Stoudemire From Worlds Empty
PostSubject: Contract Issues To Keep Stoudemire From Worlds   Contract Issues To Keep Stoudemire From Worlds I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 am

Contract Issues To Keep Stoudemire From Worlds Stoudemire

LAS VEGAS (AP)—Amare Stoudemire will not play for the United States in next month’s world championships because of problems insuring his contract, a damaging blow to the Americans on the day training camp opened.

The New York Knicks’ new forward was expected to be one of the Americans’ top players in Turkey, but the team learned of the change of plans Tuesday.

The Knicks asked Stoudemire to pull out Monday night and he understood, though he was looking forward to rejoining the team after playing for the Americans in the 2007 Olympic qualifying tournament.

ESPN.com first reported that Stoudemire might not be available to play in the championships that begin Aug. 28.

Stoudemire has had microfracture knee surgery among his injuries, a major reason Phoenix wouldn’t offer him a maximum length contract. The Knicks then gave him a five-year deal worth nearly $100 million, even while saying they weren’t sure if the contract could be insured.

According to the Knicks, the insurance policy from Stoudemire’s contract with the Suns is still in place, but it excludes his surgically repaired left knee. The Knicks have begun working to secure insurance on his new deal, but that hasn’t been completed.

“I understand the New York Knicks’ concern, also wanting to make sure I’m totally healthy for next season,” Stoudemire said. “I’m looking forward to having a big year with the Knicks organization, so I understand both sides.”

Without proper insurance, NBA teams can prevent players from taking part in summer events.

“He had to pull out because he couldn’t get insurance on his knees. So, he’s not able to play,” said Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni, who is an assistant with the U.S. team. “I don’t know if his (future USA Basketball) status has changed or not. I have no idea. I hate it for him, but it’s business.”

With the players who led the Americans to the 2008 Olympics gold medal taking the summer off, USA Basketball was counting on Stoudemire.

Asked about his commitment to playing in the world championships recently while taking questions from the media on Twitter, Stoudemire wrote: “I’m so ready to play for USA. There isn’t anything that would stop me for playing for the US.”

Yahoo Sports
Back to top Go down

Contract Issues To Keep Stoudemire From Worlds
Page 1 of 1