Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

King of pool is a Filipino

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

King of pool is a Filipino  Empty
PostSubject: King of pool is a Filipino    King of pool is a Filipino  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 am

JAKARTA, Indonesia – Another Filipino is currently sitting atop the billiards world.

And he’s not Ronnie Alcano, Antonio Lining or Dennis Orcullo.

Unheralded Jundel Mazon outdid his more illustrious compatriots by subduing local bet Irsal Nasution of Indonesia, 10-5, and ruled the 2010 Guinness World Series of Pool-10 Ball Challenge Sunday.

He brought home the top prize of $40,000.

Mazon found himself trailing early on, 1-5, but came alive beginning the seventh rack when he won nine straight games en route to winning the title.

The Filipino advanced to the championship round by beating out world no. 5and former world 10-ball champion Darren Appleton of England in the semis, 8-6 at the Mal Taman Anggrek complex here.

Mazon was left alone to carry the fight for the Filipinos after the likes of Alcano, Lining, Orcullo and even former world 9-ball champion Alex Pagulayan were eliminated one after the other.

Nasution, conqueror of Alcano in the quarterfinals, arranged the title showdown with Mazon after defeating Chang Jun-lin of Chinese Taipei, winner of the meet in 2007, in the other semifinals pairing, 8-2.

Facing one of the toughest match-ups in his professional career, Mazon found himself trailing the Englishman, 2-5, halfway into their Final Four encounter.

But showcasing nerves of steel, the relatively unknown Filipino cue ace, dug deep into his bag of tricks and finally got the break he needed after a heated safety battle in the 8th frame.

Appleton, after a brilliant counter safety from Mazon, failed to come up with a well defended shot on the 1-ball. With the table now fully exposed, Mazon pounced on the opportunity to run-out the table and get back on track, 3–5.

From then on, Mazon took over.

Utilizing a variety of kick shots, rail combinations and supreme safeties, an energized Mazon frustrated his opponent to chain an unbelievable 4 rack streak and arrive first on the hill, 7–5.

Taking no chances, the Filipino sealed the outcome of the match when Appleton missed another corner pot on the pink 4-ball at the 14th rack in the tournament organized by ESPN STAR Sports.

“I just kept cool and kept believing I had a chance. Fortunately luck was on my side today and I am ecstatic with the results,” said Mazon.

“I’ve never advanced into the finals stage in a tournament of this caliber. I hope to continue my good fortune all the way towards the championship and make my country proud!”

Mazon now awaits the winner of the Irsal Nasution (INA) versus Chang Jung-Lin (Taipei) match in the other semifinals pairing for the right to fight for the crown and the $40,000 top prize that goes with it.
Back to top Go down

King of pool is a Filipino
Page 1 of 1