Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Daniel powers Lions; Stags defuse Bombers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
benchok24
Admin
Admin
benchok24

Daniel powers Lions; Stags defuse Bombers   Empty
PostSubject: Daniel powers Lions; Stags defuse Bombers      Daniel powers Lions; Stags defuse Bombers   I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am

MANILA
, Philippines - American Sudan Daniel turned in his second triple-double game in the season as San Beda scored an expected 92-61 rout of Perpetual Help to formalize its stint in the Final Four of the 86th NCAA men’s basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan City yesterday.

The 6-7 Daniel powered his way to 10 points, hauled down 10 rebounds and came through with a league-best 12 blocks as he steered the Lions to their 11th straight victory and a fifth straight appearance in the post season.

Reigning champion San Sebastian held Jose Rizal U to just four points in the fourth quarter as the Stags completed their stirring comeback from a 13-point deficit to a 64-59 victory in the other game.

Calvin Abueva bucked an ankle injury and came up with a double-double job of 13 points and 18 rebounds while Ronald Pascual added nine points, including two triples in the last period to help lift the Stags to their 10th win in 11 games.

“Calvin played well despite coming off a sprained ankle while Ronald made some big shots for us,” said San Sebastian mentor Ato Agustin, whose Stags assured themselves of a least a playoff for the last semis berth.

Nate Matute hit four more triples after making 10 in the Bombers’ last two games and finished with 12 points.

The Bombers fell to their third setback against eight wins.

“More than anything, I want to help my team win a championship that’s why I’m doing the best I can to achieve it,” said the 23-year-old Daniel, currently trailing Abueva in the MVP race.

Interestingly, the high-leaping Daniel posted his first triple-double – 16 points, 10 board and 10 blocks – also against the Altas in a 101-77 rout last July 28.

“He has improved a lot,” said SBC coach Frankie Lim of Daniel. “I’m happy for him because he’s one of the hardest workers in my team in practice.”

Daniel powers Lions; Stags defuse Bombers   Spo1ca11Arnold Danganan, back from a one-game suspension, shot 16 points but none of his teammates scored in double figures as they struggled in the face of the Lions solid interior defense anchored on Daniel.

The Altas remained winless in 10 starts.

Rome dela Rosa led all scorers with 20 points that more than made up for his scoreless effort in his team’s 92-68 win over Emilio Aguinaldo last Friday.

In juniors’ action, San Beda overpowered Perpetual Help, 84-66, to nail its 10th win in 11 games while San Sebastian downed Jose Rizal 78-70, to tie its victim at No. 4 with 6-4 (win-loss) slates.

The Altalettes fell to their third setback against seven wins to fall from second to third behind the Letran Squires (8-3).

by phil star

Back to top Go down

Daniel powers Lions; Stags defuse Bombers
Page 1 of 1