Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PBA rookie hopeful Jeffries to join Patriots' title defense bid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

PBA rookie hopeful Jeffries to join Patriots' title defense bid Empty
PostSubject: PBA rookie hopeful Jeffries to join Patriots' title defense bid   PBA rookie hopeful Jeffries to join Patriots' title defense bid I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:33 am

PBA rookie hopeful Jeffries to join Patriots' title defense bid PSA_ABL_GRD3

Mark Jeffries, a potential first-round draftee in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), is now bringing his act to the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL).

After failing to secure the necessary documents that would make him eligible to enter the PBA Rookie Draft this year, Jeffries is now trying his luck with the defending champion Philippine Patriots.

Patriots team owner Mikee Romero, who graced Tuesday's PSA Forum at Shakey's UN Avenue, is excited with the acquisition of Jeffries, a 6-foot-5 versatile guard.

"We have high expectations on him. He played for the US NCAA Division I team. He plays like Kelly Williams or Arwind Santos," said Romero.

Jeffries' entrey is expected to boost the title retention bid of the Patriots, who are now looking for players after losing several members of their championship squad who joined the PBA Rookie Draft.

Among the key players of the Patriots who were drafted in the PBA were Nonoy Baclao, Elmer Espiritu, Val Acuña and Khasim Mirza.

"Losing Baclao is huge for this team because the defense starts and ends with him. But I'm confident we can form a stronger team compared to last year’s squad because of the abundance of talented players available," added Romero.

Co-team owner Tony Boy Cojuangco expects a tougher field in the second ABL season.

"I'm sure other teams will beef up their lineups. But I believe we can defend the title because Mikee doesn't want to lose and he will pick up the right players for this team," added Cojuangco.

Several Filipino players will also be allowed to reinforce the other participating squads in the league. The ABL has allowed three Filipino players to join the two other foreign imports this season.

The other competing teams include Indonesia, the KL Dragons of Malaysia, Thailand Cobras, Brunei Barracudas and Singapore Slingers.

The team, to be handled by head coach Louie Alas and assisted by Glen Capacio, will have an open tryout starting September 4.

"I want to load this team with shooters because I know other teams will be playing zone against us. I'm confident we will be able to form a strong team that will display its never- say-die attitude," said Alas.

The team is also scouting for quality imports to beef up the interior defense.

"Gabe (Freeman) may not be able to join us this time since he is in Turkey while we have yet to talk with Jason Dixon. But we have a list of probable imports and we will know their status after a week," said team manager Erick Arejola.

The ABL opens its second season on October 2 in Malaysia as the KL Dragons host the Cobras while the defending champions begin their bid against the Brunei Barracudas at 8 p.m. the next day at the Ynares Sports Centre in Pasig City.

Back to top Go down

PBA rookie hopeful Jeffries to join Patriots' title defense bid
Page 1 of 1