Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Red Lions complete 'Sweep 16'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
benchok24
Admin
Admin
benchok24

Red Lions complete 'Sweep 16'  Empty
PostSubject: Red Lions complete 'Sweep 16'    Red Lions complete 'Sweep 16'  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 am

Red Lions complete 'Sweep 16'  J6stn410

MANILA, Philippines - San Beda claimed a historic sweep by subduing archrival San Sebastian, 90-82, completing an unprecedented 16-game run in the NCAA men’s basketball elims to head straight to the finals before a roaring crowd at The Arena in San Juan City.

The winning streak, the longest in the country’s oldest collegiate league, also gave the Red Lions a 1-0 edge in the best-of-five title playoff while negating a Final Four setup with the three other semifinalists moving into a knockout stepladder format.

American Sudan Daniel pounded his way to 23 points he laced with 11 rebounds and five shot blocks while Garvo Lanete drilled in 23 points, including eight in the fourth quarter to help power the Lions to a record sweep.

“I’m happy we made it but everything would be meaningless if we couldn’t win the championship,” said San Beda coach Frankie Lim, who is seeking to steer the school to its 15th title overall.

San Sebastian, which lost to San Beda, 76-88, in its first duel last Aug. 18, wound up with a 13-3 card and would contest the other finals berth against the winner of the Jose Rizal U-Mapua duel in the first stepladder phase.

The Bombers and the Cardinals clash on Monday with the victor taking on No. 2 Stags with the winner advancing to the finals where it would need to beat San Beda three times to snatch the crown.

The sweep was San Beda’s first ever and the league’s first since San Sebastian accomplished the feat in 12 games 13 seasons ago.

“I told the team that we made history tonight but I also told them let’s complete this with a championship to make it sweeter,” said Lim.

It was also a fitting tribute to team captain Borgie Hermida, who is incidentally playing his 16th and last year with the Benedictine school.

“Borgie played for the school for 16 years now so I guess it’s a fitting tribute to him,” said Lim.

Earlier, Jose Rizal routed Mapua, 68-54, to finish the season with a 12-4 (win-loss) record.

The Cardinals wound up with a 9-7 card.

John Raymundo exploded with a career-high 29 points and finished with eight assists and five rebounds while Calvin Abueva made 17 points and 11 rebounds.

The Stags played without an ailing Ronald Pascual and Raymond Maconocido.

But the Stags surprised the Lions in the early going as they raced to an 11-3 start with Raymundo on the firing end.

But San Beda clawed its way back in the second quarter and took a 39-30 lead at the turn.

Hermida, who will suit up for Barako Bull after the season, led a series of SBC runs that saw the Lions erect a 59-47 advantage in the third quarter.

But the Stags refused to give up and fought their way back to within, 66-68, at the start of the payoff period.

An 11-0 run and clutch shooting by Lanete, however, frustrated the defending champions and helped the Lions preserve the lead and the victory.

PHIL STAR
Back to top Go down

Red Lions complete 'Sweep 16'
Page 1 of 1