Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dela Hoya pitches again for Pacquiao-Marquez III

Go down 
AuthorMessage
benchok24
Admin
Admin
benchok24

Dela Hoya pitches again for Pacquiao-Marquez III Empty
PostSubject: Dela Hoya pitches again for Pacquiao-Marquez III   Dela Hoya pitches again for Pacquiao-Marquez III I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 am

Dela Hoya pitches again for Pacquiao-Marquez III Juan-m10

MANILA, Philippines – Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) president Oscar dela Hoya has again banged the drums for a Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez III bout.

According to Fight Hype.com, Dela Hoya conducted a conference call with several media members to make his case and arrange a third match between Pacquiao and Marquez.

“Marquez has a license, he’s obviously ready and willing to fight Manny Pacquiao,” said the boxer-turned-promoter following the California State Athletic Commission’s decision to thumb down Mexican Antonio Margarito’s appeal for a boxing license for his November 13 match against the Fiipino champ.

“This is a fight that not only has to be made, but must be made because their first fight was a draw, and their second fight was highly disputed and it’s only fair that a third fight happen,” added Dela Hoya.

Pacquiao and Marquez have already fought twice.

The first was in May 2004 when the fight ended in a draw despite Pacquiao scoring 3 knockdowns over Marquez.

A rematch took place in March 2008 when the Filipino champion again decked the gutsy Mexican for a split decision.
Antonio Margarito (middle) with ABS-CBN's Dyan Castillejo.

Both fights ended in controversial fashion.

Dela Hoya said he knows Pacquiao never backs out of a fight. He claimed the only person barring a Pacquiao-Marquez trilogy is the Filipino’s promotional handler, Top Rank chief Bob Arum.

“Manny Pacquiao wants to fight. The only one who does not want to fight is Bob Arum, and that is not fair. That is not fair to the public, and that is not fair to Manny Pacquiao. That is not fair to Marquez,” said Dela Hoya.

Margarito turns his sights to Texas

Meanwhile, Margarito has applied for a license in Texas in a bid to finally forge the November 13 fight against Pacquiao.

A report posted on Dallas News.com said the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has received a faxed application from the Mexican champion, whose boxing license was suspended due to illegal hand wraps.

The department spokeswoman Susan Stanford said in the report that once the application fee is processed, it could take days to decide if Margarito will be granted a license.

Should the Mexican secure a license to fight in Texas, his fight with Pacquiao would likely take place at the Cowboys Stadium.
Bob Arum

‘JMM needs to prove self’

Arum, earlier, admitted that Pacquiao-Marquez III is a good idea. He, however, said that the Mexican has yet to prove his worth in a higher weight class.

“Really, I would love to make the third fight with Marquez against Manny but Marquez has to show the public that he can be successful at a higher weight, at a weight nearer where Manny is,” Arum told Examiner.com.

He said that unlike Pacquiao, who has already fought and won titles at the 145 to 147-pound levels, Marquez has yet to win a fight as a welterweight.

“I'm not demeaning the guy, he's been a terrific fighter overall but he's not in Manny's weight class at this time. Fighting Amir Khan is meaningless so I say let Marquez go out and fight a Tim Bradley, a Devon Alexander or an Andre Berto. Let him fight and beat one of those guys,” said Arum.

source:abs-cbn
Back to top Go down

Dela Hoya pitches again for Pacquiao-Marquez III
Page 1 of 1