Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UP places game vs NU under protest

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

UP places game vs NU under protest   Empty
PostSubject: UP places game vs NU under protest    UP places game vs NU under protest   I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:48 pm

MANILA, Philippines - The University of the Philippines (UP) placed its losing game versus National U yesterday under protest, citing a non-call on the Bulldogs’ supposed goal-tending violation and a let-go on a lane infraction in the final 1.2 seconds.

UP coach Boyet Fernandez, whose wards absorbed a heartbreaking 59-61 loss to the Bulldogs at the Araneta Coliseum, said Emmanuel Mbe’s block on a three-point attempt by Alvin Padilla in the third quarter should have been called a goal-tending violation.

“Mbe’s hand was clearly above the goal and the ball still had a chance of going in,” Fernandez said.

The Maroons’ other point of argument was the controversial non-call on a lane violation with Jewel Ponferrada shooting charities with 1.2 seconds to go.

With the score at 60-59 and Ponferrada at the line, Fernandez instructed his rebounders to prematurely enter the lane and lure the NU players to commit a double-lane violation, which would have resulted in a jumpball.

Ponferrada, following his mentor’s orders, deliberately missed the second foul throw while his teammates remained perched in their positions in four times that UP rebounders entered the lane prematurely.

Game officials let the fifth lane infraction go and time expired without UP getting a good desperation shot.

“They (referees) called four lane violations but on the fifth one, they just let it go when my player was clearly at the center of the lane. We were hoping NU will also violate which should have given us a jumpball,” said Fernandez.

“But what made me fume was that when I confronted the referees, they said it was a let go because there’s only 1.2 seconds left. Why let it go? Anything can happen in 1.2 seconds,” he added.

Fernandez, however, apologized for confronting game officials after the game, including commissioner Ato Badolato.

“It was my fault, I apologize to the UAAP for going directly at coach Ato after the game. It’s not my intention to destroy the league. I just felt I had to go there (court) to show their errors in judgment,” Fernandez.

“I was just taking advantage of the rules they made on lane violations. If I didn’t do that, I would have given up the fight for my players, who fought it out the whole game.”

Olmin Leyba, Philippine Star
Back to top Go down

UP places game vs NU under protest
Page 1 of 1