Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Knights rout Chiefs, fan last-ditch drive

Go down 
AuthorMessage
benchok24
Admin
Admin
benchok24

Knights rout Chiefs, fan last-ditch drive   Empty
PostSubject: Knights rout Chiefs, fan last-ditch drive      Knights rout Chiefs, fan last-ditch drive   I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 am

Knights rout Chiefs, fan last-ditch drive   Spo1ca10

MANILA, Philippines - Jam Cortes put in a double-double job as Letran routed Arellano U, 72-58, yesterday to keep its flickering Final Four hopes alive in the 86th NCAA men’s basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan City.

Entering the game with a 9.5-point, 8.6-rebound norm, Cortes powered his way to a season-high 19 points and a league-best 21 rebounds as he practically carried the Knights to their fourth win against seven losses.

“I told Jam (Cortes) before the start of the second round that I would use his performance as a barometer. If he plays with a double-double performance, we’ll have a winning chance,” said Letran coach Louie Alas.

The Knights also avenged their 76-78 loss to the Chiefs in the first round last Aug. 13 while staying in the hunt for the last semifinal berth, moving closer to the fourth-running Mapua Cardinals, who tote a 6-4 (win-loss) card.

Instead of getting into the usual huddle at halftime, Alas told his players to jog on the court instead.

“They don’t want to run in defense in the first half that’s why I told them to practice running at halftime, I’m glad they learned their lesson,” said Alas, whose wards dropped a sorry 60-63 defeat to the Cardinals last Wednesday in a game they led majority of the way.

Arellano remained in fifth with a 4-6 card.

Earlier, St. Benilde blasted Emilio Aguinaldo, 83-64, for its third win in 11 games.

Luis Sinco, a reserve guard from Ateneo High, sizzled with a career high 21 points to lead the Blazers romp over the Generals, who fell to 2-9.

It was St. Benilde’s first win over EAC, which swept the Blazers last year.

Carlo Lastimosa, the league’s leading scorer, came through with 19 points while Ian dela Paz chipped in 12 points and seven rebounds for St. Benilde.

Argel Mendoza and Emilian Vargas paced the Generals with 22 and 14 points, respectively.

In juniors’ action, Letran overpowered Arellano U, 64-39, to roll to its ninth straight win against three losses for solo third.

La Salle-Greenhills, on the other hand, downed Emilio Aguinaldo, 81-68, to improve to 5-7.

source phil star
Back to top Go down

Knights rout Chiefs, fan last-ditch drive
Page 1 of 1