Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Atkins,La Salle rout UP in Opener UAAP

Go down 
AuthorMessage
devilmaycry18
Admin
Admin
devilmaycry18

Atkins,La Salle rout UP in Opener UAAP Empty
PostSubject: Atkins,La Salle rout UP in Opener UAAP   Atkins,La Salle rout UP in Opener UAAP I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Simon Atkins showed his agressiveness by scoring 16 of his game high 23 points in the first half to lead host La Salle to a convincing 80-62 rout of Unversity Of The Phillipines at the start of the 73rd UAAP basketball tournament on Saturday at the Araneta Coliseum.

The veteran guard,one of team most popular players who average 2.2 per game last season,fired four three pointers to helped the Green Archers take a slim 34-31 advantage after 20 minutes of action.

But it was the taft based dribblers bench player who finished the job in the final two periods to secure the first opening day victory since 2007.

It also gave a new coach Dindo Pumaren a rising debut with La Salle after taking over from brother Franz Pumaren following disappointing 2009 campaign.

"Im glad everybody played well," Said Pumaren." We were able to catch UP flat in this game."

"They gave energy but buttom line well played well and the agressiveness was there"
he added.

Maui Villanueva posted a double double with 13 points and 13 rebounds while Sam Marata was the third double digit scorer with 10 but despite missing seven of 11 shots from the field.

La Salle biggest lead came at 20 points (78-58)with 1:42 left to play on two foul shots
by second year center Yutien Andarada.

The past few years,I was a little bit hesitating so i tried to work on my shooting in the off season,"Said Atkins, who startedhis fiery shooting by scoring five of La Salle first eigth points in the first period.

"I thougth,people did not respect my shooting but i think this time our opponents will respect me more.

Mike Sulungan,who spent two years of residency before finally getting a chance to play in the UAAP,had a rough debut shooting 7of 18 from the field and turned the ball over six times.

Still the rookies managed to score 17 points to share topscoring honor with veteran Woody Co.

The Maroons strugglled the entire the game shooting 5of 27 from the three points range for an 18 percent clip-GMA NEWS TV

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
http://basketbolpilipinas.forummption.com/

Atkins,La Salle rout UP in Opener UAAP
Page 1 of 1