Basketbol ng Pilipinas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collegiate crown is victory in purest form

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magic Man13
Admin
Admin
Magic Man13

Collegiate crown is victory in purest form   Empty
PostSubject: Collegiate crown is victory in purest form    Collegiate crown is victory in purest form   I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 am

Collegiate crown is victory in purest form   Spo11up

MANILA, Philippines - San Beda College men’s basketball team coach Frankie Lim said yesterday winning the NCAA championship with the Red Lions is an achievement that stands out in his resume because the varsity game is sports competition in its purest form.

Lim, 50, played on San Beda’s back-to-back title squads in 1977 and 1978 with teammates Chito Loyzaga, the De Guzman brothers, Chuck Barreiro, J. B. Yango and Cholo Martin, first beating Ateneo then La Salle for the twin crowns. In 1981, he suited up for the national squad that took the gold medal at the Southeast Asian Games. And in a celebrated 15-year PBA career from 1982 to 1996, Lim saw action on championship teams with Great Taste (four), Alaska (one) and Purefoods (two). He also played for Tanduay, Shell and San Miguel Beer.

But since taking over from Koy Banal as San Beda head coach four years ago, Lim said there is no more gratifying accomplishment than taking a team of young collegiate players to the top of the hill.

“You’re working with kids and they follow everything you tell them to do, like a sponge,” he said. “Right before Game 2 of the finals last week, I told the boys in the dugout the time has come to fulfill their dream. I told them we all have a dream, that one day, we would become great. It was our chance to live the dream and we couldn’t lose it. I told them to think about No. 18, the chance for a sweep. They were all fired up. It couldn’t have happened without everybody working hard. The coaching staff did a wonderful job – Ed Cordero, Boni Garcia, J. B. Sison, Mark Jomaleza and team manager and assistant coach Mike Advani.”

What made this year’s win extra special was the Lions did it coming off a painful setback last season.

“It wasn’t so much the pressure of winning because we lost to San Sebastian last year,” said Lim. “It was more the hurt. We could’ve played Ogie Menor last year but he chose to turn pro. We also lost Pong Escobal to graduation. We recruited with 2010 in mind, not 2009, so it was tough. Still, we made it to the finals but got beaten.”

Lim said bringing in five rookies this year was the result of a successful recruitment program.

“It’s no secret that how well you recruit has an impact on your record,” said Lim. “Our five rookies were included in our rotation. I’m really happy for them. Imagine they got to play in the finals in their first year. But all the players did their part. I don’t think we ever had a lousy practice. There was never an instance where the boys kidded around or didn’t take our drills seriously. They worked very, very hard and in the end, we proved that hard work pays and it pays well.”

Lim said MVP Sudan Daniel’s turnaround was key. “From how Su played last year to how he played this year, it was like night and day,” he went on. “Su went through a lot. At practice, I screamed at him, kicked him out of the gym once and he even vomited. But you’ve got to give it to the guy. He came in 2008 and has played the last three years with us. He’s persistent. He told me once he didn’t leave home 40,000 miles away to fail.”

Daniel, an American, has a year left in his NCAA eligibility like another American, Kirk Long, with Ateneo in the UAAP.

“It’s not for me to say if Su can play in the PBA,” said Lim. “I’ll wait if the PBA will allow Kirk. Both those guys have played here several years.”

Lim said he can’t compare San Beda’s spirit with Ateneo’s or La Salle’s. “I was never with those schools so I don’t know,” he said. “All I know is when I was with San Beda, we beat Ateneo for one title and La Salle for another. San Beda’s a small school compared to Ateneo and La Salle. At San Beda, we’re all down-to-earth. You feel at home at San Beda because everybody knows each other. We have a sense of unity and togetherness. When I go out to recruit, I talk about our successful basketball program – we’ve now gone to five straight finals, winning four championships. I challenge the potential recruit to compete and be part of our championship teams. It’s different at San Beda. We’re united, we’re like a family.”

Next season, Lim is bringing in Baser Amer from the Red Cubs to take Borgie Hermida’s spot. He’s also looking at three other San Beda junior players and studying how they’ll fit in the squad.

As for his other responsibilities, Lim said he can’t complain.

“I’ve got the best job in the world as coach of San Beda and manager of the Smart-Gilas national team,” he said. “Of course, I miss being with Talk ‘N’ Text since I was with the team over 10 years. But I’m just happy to be involved in basketball. Maybe, someday, I’ll be back with Talk ‘N’ Text. It all depends on what the SBP decides with our national team. Right now, I love both jobs, being coach and manager. It’s the best of both worlds.”

Lim said he’s looking forward to a dream match-up against Ateneo. “Which is the better team?” he wondered. “We’ll see. We were invited to play Ateneo on Nov. 7, both juniors and seniors teams to play off, but for some reason, Ateneo backed out. Maybe, we’ll play each other in the Champions League. Whatever happens, I’ll always be proud of what we’ve achieved in the last four years, going to the finals every season and winning three titles.”

Joaquin Henson, Philippine Star
Back to top Go down

Collegiate crown is victory in purest form
Page 1 of 1